Ayurveda suggests to soak almonds over night and only after eat. Why is that? What is the difference between raw almond and soaked one?
Almonds have a tannin, an enzyme inhibitor in almond skin that protects the nut before germination, actually inhibits nutrient absorption from the flesh as well. Soaking almonds overnight allows easy removal of the bitter skin, facilitating enzymatic digestion by exposing the nutrients to stomach acids. Simple explanation is right there, we will get more nutrients out of the soaked almond and it will be easier digest, absorb in our stomach.
First I would like to share benefits of the soaked almond for Health:
- Soaked almonds can make your food digestion smoother and faster by facilitating the entire digestive procedure. Soaked almonds also release the lipid-breaking enzyme ‘lipase’, which works on the fat present in the food and aids digestion.
- These are extremely beneficial for pregnant women. As the moisture increases the availability of the nutrients present in the nuts, they provide the ultimate nourishment and energy to both the mother as well as the fetus. Furthermore, the folic acid content of the almonds makes the delivery of the baby trouble-free and helps the newborn stay away from any sort of birth-defect.
- Scientists have proved that the intake of 4 to 6 soaked almonds a day can serve the purpose of a brain tonic and boost the functionality of the Central Nervous System (CNS) to a great extent. Being full of essential fats, these can sharpen the memory and improve the intelligence of growing kids significantly.
- Almonds immersed in water can reduce your cholesterol levels to a great extent. The vitamin E content of the nuts is also helpful in fighting against Low Density Lipoprotein and raising the level of High Density Lipoprotein in the body.
- By keeping your cholesterol levels under control with soaked almonds, you can maintain the heart health. They are good sources of protein, potassium and magnesium, which are necessary for a healthy cardiovascular system. Apart from these, almonds are full of vitamin E which, being an antioxidant vitamin, combats several fatal heart diseases.
- Acute hypertension can also be treated by soaked almonds. The low sodium and high potassium content of the nuts can prevent your blood pressure from escalating. In addition, magnesium and folic acid present in the seeds are helpful in lowering the chances of artery congestion.
- Soaked almonds are a wonderful natural remedy for treating diabetes mellitus. They help to keep your blood sugar level under control.
- There are very few chemical or organic compounds that can promote weight loss like soaked almonds. Being loaded with monounsaturated fat, they satisfy your craving for food and help you shed additional body weight.
- Those who suffer from chronic constipation can also benefit by consuming soaked almonds. The nut is full of insoluble fibers, which increase the amount of roughage in your body and help you get rid of the problem.
- Fight Cancer: Soaked almonds contain Vitamin B17 which is vital for fighting cancer.
- Flavonoid present in almonds suppresses tumor growth.
Those are just some benefits for your health, however, they are amazing. For sure, we should add in our morning routine soaked almond nuts.
Next benefits of soaked almonds are for skin:
- Soaked almonds can be mashed and applied to the skin as a natural moisturizer. If your skin is dry, you can mix some whipped cream with the almonds and use the mask every day. It would nourish your skin and hydrate it sufficiently. As a result, you will get a soft, supple and smooth skin.
- If you want to improve your skin tone and regain your lost glow, soaked almonds can help you a lot. It repairs the damaged skin tissues internally and accelerates the formation of new cells. Hence, the tone and texture of your skin are enhanced considerably.
- Aging can easily be prevented with soaked almonds. Vitamin E and other antioxidants present in these nuts can eliminate the harmful free radicals from your body. As a result, the aging process gets delayed and you remain younger-looking for a longer period.
- The paste of soaked almonds can be used as a natural scrub for the face as well as rest of the body. You can add milk, lemon, or honey to it and prepare different packs. These are very effective in exfoliating your skin and giving you a fresh, new look.
- Soaked almond paste can also be used to treat skin inflammation. Be it rashes or chapped skin, the soothing property of the seeds give you relief from itching and irritation quickly.
Benefits for hair:
- Soak a few almonds in water overnight, mash them the next morning and finally, prepare a hair mask by mixing a fair amount of olive oil with it. Apply it on your scalp and hair every day. It is a wonderful natural conditioner that can give you smooth and healthy hair.
- As mentioned earlier, almonds are highly nutritive. Therefore, eating soaked almonds or using its paste on the scalp can nourish your hair and make it stronger. It also repairs severe hair damage, reduces frequent hair fall and helps in the growth of new hair follicles.
- Soaked almonds also add shine and luster to your tresses. They work directly on the roots of hair.
After knowing all those benefits , I believe many of you will start to soak almonds before eating them. The taste is yummier and healthier, and we want to be healthy, right?!
Be beautiful! Love and Light!